Monday, January 28, 2008

ABT as promised

I am currently wondering why Ben was rolling around on the floor with Wendy.

That aside...

Yesterday, Rhea and I did the audition for the American Ballet Theater summer programs. I was really not ready for that! I probably butchered a good amount of the combinations. But it was a good experience. Christina Elliott taught the class and she was very inspiring. I wish I had been able to perform better. I am just so out of practice that I couldn't make the combinations look good. Auditions are fun though. It is interesting to see the people that show up. I was by far the oldest there, even though the SI goes to age 22 and the collegiate program to 24. There were over 100 dancers in the middle age group class. Probably about 50 in ours and another 50 in the youngest group (from what I heard). There were girls with gorgeous bodies, others who looked more like me, some I could have snapped in half with my pinkie...but overall a LOT of beautiful line. They make me jealous.

After the audition Chris and I went out to Jazz at Pearl's for our anniversary. We had a great time, Pearl's is a very intimate setting. It was also Patrick's (my brother) 14th birthday.

It is funny how body type plays into ballet. It is more of an issue for me (and probably a lot of dancers) in how we are built than our weight. However weight is the easiest way to change your body. I wonder if a lot of dancers are driven to eating disorders because it seems like the easiest way to change your body? Instead of doing intense and repetitive stretching and strengthening to change your body to the best of its potential it is easier to misdirect that unhappiness into not eating. Auditions easily make me feel self-conscious about my body, but I generally realize it is because of my feet's flexibility and my hip flexors, etc and not because of my weight.

Anyways, my computer seems to be back from the dead. But it has absolutely no battery power now. Next time I find $60 lying around, I will buy a new battery. I also need to get it fixed, I have a list of people to call. I just hope it isn't too expensive. Fortunately I just found out today that I will be continuing my job as a personal assistant. That might help.

It was the third day of class today. I had a my psychology statistics lab today, the TA teaching it talks way too much. Then I had an aerobics class which I am taking to get myself moving on Monday and Wednesdays. I like the teacher, she is fun and young, I don't need a strict teacher who expects a lot for my fun class. She also is going to be using a lot of cool stuff such as hip hop, pilates, yoga, and isometrics. I also had the Jazz/Pop piano class for the first time today. I really like it so far. I feel good about it even though I was afraid I wouldn't be able to handle it. One of the first songs we're learning is St. James Infirmary, a song I really like. Also in my Intro to Clinical Psychology class today we talked about PhD and PsyD degrees. It's pretty scary. I hope someone offers me a movie contract before I get there. It sounds weak, but grad school is a ton of time and a ton of money.

2 comments:

Ben said...

I had my first day of Modern I today.

...don't judge me. >_>;;

Natalie said...

What kind of computer is it? i have an extra laptop battery...