Thursday, January 24, 2008

And all that jazz...

Today was the first day of school, why my school starts on a Thursday I have no idea. My first class on Tuesdays and Thursdays is Advanced Jazz. I decided to take it this semester to a) get myself moving in the morning and b) because I love Alicia Pierce (lots of great Dunham), the teacher and c) because I can actually get in because I am still listed as a dance major. Well, it turns out Alicia is on sick leave and Bryon Seddens is teaching the class. I love Byron, but he is hard. Not that this is a bad thing, in light of my goals to get into shape. However, I suppose I am lazy. I am actually quite excited to work with him all semester. He is an amazing dancer and choreographer, and has a no nonsense style of teaching that I like. He is amazingly talented with his body, the way he works with his torso, shoulders, and hips is completely counter-intuitive to my ballet training. I really hope I can pick up some of his sense for movement by the end of the semester. Hilari, a girl who was also in University Dance Theater last year and someone who understands Byron's movement much better than me, is also in the class. Hopefully she can help me out later if I need help. After school study sessions for dance class?

I am really psyched about the American Ballet Theater audition this weekend! My friend Reah is coming up for it. I'm really excited to see her and her mom and excited for her to do the audition. I think she has great chances of doing well. She is a really beautiful dancer. I really hope to get into the collegiate program, but I know it will be hard to actually go if I do make it in. I am taking audition photos tomorrow hopefully, Paige is helping me with them. And I think Sue is doing a letter of recommendation for me. The only thing I am really worried about is my chaine turns. They are really all over the place at the moment. This morning I kept losing my spot and ending up completely off track.

Well, I know there is more I want to write about, but it will have to wait. Till tomorrow!

1 comment:

Helenrr said...

Break a leg to Reah and you! Hope your cold is better too.
:) Mom